Saturday, August 30, 2014

Gamla Stan

Today I went to Gamla Stan, or “Old Town” in Swedish, and did some very touristy things.  I was very excited to go, and while walking to the islet of Riddarholmen I met two very nice tourists from North Carolina.  These two ladies, older, but truly young at heart, asked if I knew anything about the church on the islet.  I opened my Sweden tour book and found information on Riddarholmenskyrkan (as it sounds).  It is a very beautiful old church!


While walking around the little islet I sat down on some steps just to take in Stockholm.  I was overcome with excitement and perhaps a bit of shock that I’m here visiting Stockholm.  It’s still a little unreal. 

When my mind is occupied it is really fun to be here, but when it is not, I’m homesick. I still have the uncomfortable feelings that one gets when venturing into the unknown. Especially being alone.  If I had a friend to talk to it would be different, but I don’t, so I’ll just have to do my best and be bold and talk to other tourists. 
The two ladies I met were living in Amsterdam and were going on to live in France somewhere for a few months after that.  They aren’t really sure when they will return to the US. J

I also met a tourist from Germany.  He was carrying a Stockholm book (one can easily spot tourists by their guide books :), and we chatted for a few blocks.  We were trying to find where the changing of the guard was going to happen and by the time we found our way around the Royal Palace, we had missed it. Oh well, I’ll see it another day! 

Today was a good day, and I’m trying not to wish I was at home, I’m sure soon I’ll not want to leave. 


Hej då från Sverige!

No comments:

Post a Comment