Friday, October 10, 2014

On leaving places, and being home.

Here, on my last day with SveDem and the Karolinska Institutet, it is foggy.  All of the Swedes I talk to gaze longingly out the window at the fog and say, “winter is coming.”
Although I experienced some snow in Sweden, I won’t experience the near eternal darkness with only 2 hours of sunlight during the winter.  I think I’m okay with that for now.  I’ve enjoyed some of the loveliest weather during the past six weeks and have thoroughly enjoyed working with the researchers here in Sweden. 

I’ve gotten to know Stockholm, and I know now that I will forever be at home here.   I will certainly leave a piece of my heart here.  I looked back on my post from August 21st, when I left Cleveland, and all of the things I wrote about, hoping that I would find a home here.
I did.   

Today, I realize just how lucky I am to call myself a Brueggeman Fellow, and I get to look back to see how much I have learned and changed.  I have a very full journal that has a chronicle of my adventures, and all of the fears, joys, challenges and exciting times I experienced here.
I have so much new knowledge about Sweden’s healthcare system and a growing curiosity about the issues surrounding aging in our world. 

While preparing the presentation I will be giving today at SveDem’s staff meeting I ask myself “Am I qualified to ask these questions?”  Here I am, a new college graduate who is simply curious about how the world works and I got to come here to Sweden to see for myself! 

There are not enough words to express my gratitude to the Brueggman Center for Dialogue for honoring me with this experience, my family and friends for their everlasting support, and the researchers and practitioners here in Stockholm who have taught me so much in just six weeks.  Last, but not least, thank you to my readers, for following along on my adventures. 

Fråga mig om SveDem!




Hej då från Sverige!

No comments:

Post a Comment